Monday, October 29, 2007

Venus training Oct 29

I wanted to work Venus on some 270 degree turns today over jumps. That lead to working several things today. First with the 270s we worked her staying out to come around the jump and back to me. Then I switched it up for her sometimes calling her to me instead of sending her out. I have to really switch what I'm doing to get her to come back to me before taking the jump. When she was on my left I she naturally would tend to go out around the jump but on my right she would pull in more.

With the jumps set up like they were I decided to see where her "left" command was today and I was pleasantly surprised. I got her to turn left over the jump and take it with a hand cue also. After that I tried without the hand signal so I could be sure she was listening rather than just taking the cue. No problems there. I then switched it up some and would turn right or go straight so that I knew she was paying attention to where I wanted her instead of just assuming we were taking the left jump. Again, no problems. When Venus is thinking and doing well she will pick things up well and I use those times to really test what she's doing. As the final test I layered the jump on the right and told her to go left. Whoo she went and did it!

Then we worked serpentines and threadles. She's done serpentines before and she seems to really like them for whatever reason. We've never done the threadles before and my handling isn't very smooth on them. We eventually got through it though.

I noticed in the video from today that my hand is high in the air again. I still need to work a bit on that. She was a little slow today but that's not really a surprise at home. She's usually faster when we are new places; they are new and exciting.

No comments: