Sunday, October 28, 2007

Venus' Story

Venus is a Clover daughter and is probably going to be my true agility dog. She's smart, fast, and fun! Most of my posts will be about our daily training, what goals and accomplishments we are working on, and what silly things she's decided to come up with.
Venus, who I also call Veni or Bean, is currently 19 months old and is showing some potential for doing some great things for me. She really seems to love agility and loves learning whatever new thing I might add to it.
She is also built to run agility and even when we aren't working she is doing crazy things like jumping the other dogs and various things that might get in her way of running full speed. She had a problem on the dog walk for a while, she would spread her rear wide when she ran full speed to pass the front legs through. That usually resulted in her falling off the dog walk. We have done a lot of work on that so that she doesn't fall anymore.
Things we are currently working on:
Weave pole speed- it is getting much much better
Hitting the up contact on the dog walk and teeter- she launches up onto these missing the contact
Distance- Venus has had a problem wanting to run right beside me so I am encouraging her to move away more and more

Venus has competed in one trial so far. It was at the Samoyed national when she was 17 months old. It was raining and she was so excited she was leaping on me outside the ring. I couldn't get her to focus enough to go over the warm up jump. I feared the worst for that run. She was only entered in jumpers because I didn't feel she was ready for standard yet.
She actually went in and did way better than I ever expected. I had entered her to support Sammy agility and for experience. She ended up with a 2nd place and time of 36 seconds.

No comments: